Saturday 23 October 2010

SELWG and other stuff

Yet another long gap between posts, but I was able to do some gaming related stuff in the hiatus.

I attended SELWG at Crystal Palace sports centre, South London last weekend. It was a bit quiter than it usually is and chatting to a few traders they said it did not seem as well attended as it usually is. Could this be a sign of the credit crunch hitting us gamers? I have always thought of gaming as quite an inexpensive hobby, especially compared to what I used to spend in my younger days out drinking with my mates. I didn't pick up much at SELWG, just a few paints, bases and a carry-case/box from Figures in Comfort to store some of my better painted minis in. Alex picked up some Immortal Miniatures plastic Greek Hoplites.

I actually picked up the paint brush again today and managed to almost complete several more minis. If I can get out to spray varnish them tomorrow, I'll try to photograph them and get them up on the blog.

I have been thinking a lot about what period I'd like to game in, or at least catch up on and have been busy reading up on The Anarchy, or the reign of King Stephen. I have dug out my old Cadfael books, Sharon Penman's 'When Christ and his Saints Slept' and Ken Follett's 'Pillars'. I think this all down to the new series of 'Pillars' being shown on TV currently and the repeats of Cadfael I keep catching on the satellite channels. I have also been reading up on Benedictine monks. I feel a Dark Age Cthulhu RPG set in this period coming on, or at least some skirmish gaming.

Doggerland is a few moves in now and is developing slowly. When we get the first character vs character battles, I'll try to get some pictures up.

That's about it for now, but it is actually a lot more than it sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment