Thursday, 30 July 2026

Midgard : Britannia (Slingers 2)

Hot on the heels of the last batch of slingers we have a second batch of slingers. Hot being the operative word here as it was another scorching week this week in dear old blighty. Luckily these four figures only required a quick paint job and wash to get them completed. Other than the heat, there were no major interruptions to my painting schedule this week, so I managed my usual 20-30 minutes per day.

The Second unit of Ancient British Slingers

So, that makes for two more skirmisher missile units completed which brings the total to four ranged skirmisher bases including the archers. There are also the skyclad and hound master bases that could be counted amongst the skirmisher units too bringing the total of these kinds of bases (four warriors on foot per base) to seven...

Both units of Slingers

And here they are with the female warriors...

Slingers and Female Warriors

After my summary post comment last time, I decided to take a picture of the whole army so far...

The Ancient Briton Army so far

I am not sure if I will take a photo of the whole army again until I have completed the entire project. In the meantime, I will continue with progress reports for the last few units and individuals that need to be painted.

Celtic figures based for Midgard (86 of 106 completed)...

  • 3/4 bases of standard warriors (30/40 plastic figures)
  • 1/2 bases of elite warriors (10/20 a base each of plastic and metal figures)
  • 2 bases of slingers (8 metal figures)
  • 1 base of female warriors (10 metal figures)
  • 2 bases of archers (8 metal figures)
  • 2 bases of mounted warriors (8 metal/plastic figures)
  • 2 bases of skyclad warriors (8 metal figures)
  • 1 base of hounds (4 metal figures)

Other Celtic figures that have been prepped (0 of 21 completed)...

  • Leaders and Champions (6 metal figures)
  • 1 base of druids (4 metal figures)
  • Mounted warriors (2 metal/plastic figures)
  • Chariots and crew (3/6 metal figures)
And the remainder...
  • 34 Standard and elite warriors still on their sprues (plastic figures)
  • 8 Javelinmen (metal figures)
  • 2 Slingers (metal figures)

Of the Midgard based figures, that is all of the quick wins (i.e. units of four) out of the way. I have just two more units of ten to complete now before moving onto the leaders and champions etc. When this particular Briton army project has finished I may look at the movement trays for the Midgard : Britannia armies left in my unmade box and divvy them up between the Romans and Britons. I have a number of bases I can construct for each army from their remaining unpainted piles (two units of javelin-armed skirmishers and maybe another base of plastic Warriors from the Celts, and I know I have artillery, Numidian cavalry and some Balearic slingers still to paint for the Romans). I will eventually get around to completing those unpainted figures and basing them for use on the left-over movement trays, but I will work on another project first before going back to them. I wish to use all of my current Warbases purchases so I do not feel guilty about buying more for other armies, even though any new ones will be configured to take 25mm and 40mm round plastic GW bases rather than the 1p and 38mm washer bases I used for the two Britannia armies. Money is tight, so I need a return on my gaming investments in terms of hobbying and playing with them.

In other news, I have put in that order for the chariot bases, and also for some standard movement trays for the Lord of the Rings orcs (the 25mm round GW bases mentioned above). When they arrive and I have worked on them a little, I will hopefully get another "in progress" post written with my work so far. I also need to see how to base the Roman artillery and crews as well; this too can be the subject of another post later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment