Tuesday 27 April 2021

Skeletons

Today I was able to spend a little time prepping some very old (1985 according to the base tabs) Games Workshop mounted skeletons. This is a small force of five mounted skeleton warriors armed with an array of weapons on a varied set of undead horses.

Unfortunately, the ravages of time, and possibly some miscasting, had led to a few of the legs on the horses becoming damaged or to go missing. I glued and bent them into the best shapes possible and mounted them on 40mm round bases, one of which I managed to screw up, but I will fill the gap when it comes to basing the miniature. I will need to find the mounted skeletons some suitable shields too as the plastic ones that came with them are long lost; I will also need to remove a bit from the tabs on their arms that would have housed their original push-on shields. I will try to find some more of the same shields I used on the foot skeleton warriors.

I also dug out some old painted models that I had completed (iirc, the first two were originally painted by my friend Colin, but I have tidied them up a little to more match my own style) when I was on a roll back around the early 2010s. These will form a kind of command group for the skeleton warriors on foot, or maybe a variety of lich and/or undead lords/champions for Frostgrave or fantasy RPGs.

These will be added to the six Otherworld skeletons I have begun to paint over the last couple of days.

I am hoping to get a small undead force together from these and probably a small order from Otherworld to make up their numbers when I have some spare cash. Here's the undead band so far...

If I can get another half-a-dozen of the unarmoured variety of skeleton warrior and the six armoured versions of the same, that will give me a force of 3 command, 12 unarmoured, 6 armoured and 5 mounted skeletons. I can't imagine I will need more than a couple of dozen or so skeletons for the gaming I intend to run, but if I do, I will go down the plastic route, as it will work out a lot cheaper per miniature. There are several manufacturers out there from which I could build a significant force if I should want to put my mind to it.


What with the figures I have been painting for my son, and now these ones I am currently working on for myself, I will need to sort out some kind of storage. All of my old storage has been utilised by my Lord of the Rings figures, so I would need to buy another storage box or two for the latest figures I am painting. The Really Useful boxes that have been used to store the unpainted ones would not be conducive to keeping the paint jobs in tip-top condition, so foam lined boxes will be a necessity. I will look at these too when I am a little more flush.

2 comments:

  1. Nice bony warband. You don't often see that trumpet blower in complete condition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :-)

    He had been sat in a drawer for years (at least early 80s) and hardly moved, hence his good condition. When I pulled the rest of the skeletons out to build and paint, I remembered I had him and his two companions. I have never really been a fan of undead in games, but these might just change my mind. I am quite excited to see these completed.

    ReplyDelete