Wednesday 23 September 2020

Battle Games in Middle-earth Magazine

Battle Games in Middle-earth was a multi-part magazine produced by DeAgostini in conjunction with Games Workshop and New Line Cinema that began publication in around 2003. It retailed at £3.99 (£5.99 for a couple of the specials) back in the day which seems so cheap nowadays when looking at what you get for your money. Each part consisted of a magazine, some GW miniatures and occasionally a one-off "gift" to help your collection grow. It was released fortnightly, but if it was put on mail order subscription the parts were delivered once per month in bundles of two magazines.

To complete the collection took around three or four years (2003 until 2006-ish) and was comprised of 91 standard issues and three special edition issues. I have to admit that whilst collecting them, my enthusiasm never waned, and I always looked forward to the postman dropping off my bundle once-a-month.

BGiMe Issue 1

Looking back at my collection of these issues (I have not looked at them in over ten years as they have been up in the loft in a comic box for safe keeping and are only just now seeing the light of day as I have recently moved home) has brought the memories flooding back; the anticipation of receiving the issues, reading them with my kids, then re-watching the films, and then imagining the tabletop battles we would have with the miniatures when we eventually got round to painting them (which I never really did except for a few of the Rohan miniatures).

As mentioned in a previous post, I am not sure what to do with these magazine blog articles, so I will just get writing and see where they take me. At the moment I am trying to get my gaming head back on, and hopefully these magazine summaries will inspire me to get the paints and dice out in readiness for a few games later on in the year (hopefully).

So, with this blog entry, I think I will keep it simple and sign off now whilst I ponder what to write tomorrow. I imagine a variety of magazine summaries (but not in the same detail as the SBG magazine articles), which miniatures/gifts came with which magazine, and possibly mention a few articles of note if they tickle my gaming fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment