Thursday 12 September 2013

Citadel Hobgoblins

These figures have been sitting on my 'nearly done' pile for months now, but at the weekend I managed to put the final touches to them. Unfortunately, the photos do not really do them much justice. The muted colours work when seen from a distance but up close they look drab and dreary rather than worn and used. Oh well.

I have had these miniatures for decades now - they were some of the original Citadel pre-slotta Hobgoblins. I really liked them when they came out as they had a nasty and vicious feel to them. I also bought the Asian style hobgoblins that came out later as well as the Nick Lund hobgoblins that were built like tanks. Three tribes to go to war against the weak humans but only two warbands painted up so far. The Asian style ones will be a project for next year I think.

Anyway, on with the show. Here is the Hobgoblin Champion...


Discipline Master - no hanging around at the back when this chappy is goading you with his bullhide whip... 

The warband leader - a snaggle-toothedveteran of many campaigns...


This one I have designated as a shaman. Mainly because he has a skull hanging around his neck and a bronze cast of a foot from some therapod nailed to his shield...


Hobgoblin grunts with shields and a variety of crude weapons...


Hobgoblin grunts with hand weapons...


In case you were wondering what the double bases were - they are a mistake. Many of my old miniatures I based on old UK 1p and 2p pieces (non-magnetic) but when I came to repaint and touch-up these figures I could not remove the old bases they were on. I decided to put them onto some of the newer coins to allow them to be of about the same height as slotta based figures and also be magnetic just in case I ever decide to store them on sheet magnets etc. The standard sized basing also means that they are compatible with the rest of my figures so far.

Next - those Easterlings that I promised several months back.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice set of figures. The older figures just have so much "feel" to them, rugged, brutal. New figures have greater detail but they seem to lack these qualities. Really good paint jobs on those babies too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree regards the older minis. I certainly have a soft spot for them. I just wish I could still get hold of some of them so I could flesh out a few warbands/armies that I could not afford back when I was a kid when I first bought these. Thanks also for the kind comments on the paint jobs.

    ReplyDelete