Wednesday 5 June 2019

LotR Gondor Army

Lord of the Rings Minas Tirith Army (Prepped and/or Undercoated)

Today I think we get onto the big one. This Gondor army has taken on a life of its own and been appended to with third party stuff that, to me, makes more sense.

I had a certain idea in my head about how I wanted this army to look and feel on the tabletop. I was kind of going for a Roman type feel with several branches of troop type that perform different functions on the battle field; after all, Gondor was fighting a war on several fronts against several enemies who all use different tactics.


No previous shot of the pre-prep army unfortunately so just the post-prep and mostly undercoated shot above. This army does look impressive on the tabletop I must say, even though much of it is unpainted and there are several miniatures that still need completing and undercoating.

Plastic:
72 Warriors of Minas Tirith
24 Ithilien rangers
18 Knights of Minas Tirith
12 Swan Kinghts of Dol Amroth

Metal:
5 Heroes (Denethor, Boromir, 2xFaramir, Pippin)
2 King Elessar
1 Gandalf the White (mtd)
1 Faramir (mtd)
14 Gondor scouts (Faramir, banner bearer, 12xscouts)
2 Prince Imrahil (ft & mtd)
8 captains and banner bearers
14 Citadel Guard (2 heroes, 12 guard)
3 Fountain Court Guard
6 Osgiliath veterans
6 Ithilien ranger heroes
4 warmachines
7 crew

This gives a total of 199 Gondor troops and 4 pieces of artillery.

Gondor, being the pinnacle of the mannish kingdoms, should rightly have all the cutting edge technology in warfare, although Isengard under Saruman's guidance with his cogs and wheels will come a close second.

I have a strong core of foot soldiers armed with swords and/or spears in heavy armour with archer support for the main body, plus artillery, and heavy cavalry in the form of the plastic Knights of Minas Tirith and Swan Knights of Dol Amroth to back them up. For skirmishing there are the rangers and the original metal Knights of Minas Tirith that I will be using as scouts. This faction has plenty of named heroes for leading the troops into battle and Gandalf the White for a bit of magical punch.

With regards the artillery, I was never keen on the Avenger bolt thrower or the trebuchet models offered by Games Workshop, so I went all historical and bought Warlord Games's onager, ballista and a couple of scorpions for battle field support. I am using the GW crew members for them though.

There isn't really much to add to this army list except maybe some fiefdom units. Again, I am not keen on the GW versions of fiefdom troops, so will most likely just give that a miss. They would add a little more colour and more tactical nuances but I think what I have is more than enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment