Friday 16 April 2021

Mended Orcs

Well, I managed to get to Games Workshop yesterday to purchase the plastic glue I needed and a handful of new paints that I will require going forward. I had a good conversation with the sales person in there; he was very chatty and helped me a fair bit in making my paint choices - I knew what colours I wanted but only in "old money" (the previous release of Citadel paints), but he had a conversion chart that told him which paints in the new ranges were closest to those in the old ranges.

I also asked him about the potential return to the Old World for Warhammer. Unfortunately, he did not have a lot to tell me except that it may be around two years away and that the specifics are still being thrashed out at head office, and that the workers at the shops are not in the know just yet. One slip he did make was that the universe may be set a few hundred years prior to the original Old World setting; so, none of the well-known big heroes are around (unless they are elves, dwarves or undead) and new heroes must be forged.

Anyway, I digress. Back to the orcs. I sorted out the broken figures and looked through my bits box for any weapons or items that may have come from the figures originally. I managed to find a few but still needed some bits to complete the rest...


Here they are glued up with the broken off pieces re-attached to, hopefully, their previous owners. I had to trim a few bits here and there, as well as file some joining places down to the bare plastic but not a bad half-an-hour's work...

The spear, axe and bow armed orcs managed to get the correct orcish weaponry back, but the two orcs armed with hand weapons at the front of the photo had to be fudged a little. The left one in the picture above had a spear blade added whilst the one that usually carries a war-pick had to have a Gondor sword instead.

This left five figures without existing pieces that could be matched. For these I turned to my historical plastic miniatures bits box...

In turn, these got a Norman banner, a Dane-axe, a Dane-axe, and a Medieval bow. The last miniature lost his arm to one of the spear armed orcs above, so will now just be used in future to cannibalise for spare parts.

As you can see, before I did the repairs for these figures I gave them all the new standard basing of inked sand and green base rim. I have decided to do this scheme for all of my son's orcs and associated baddies. When they are completed in the painting queue, they will also get some green flock to show that they are completed. 

In the end, my son has 30 orc warriors, one of which can be a banner bearer. I will look at how these can be added to to create a Dragon Rampant force as mentioned previously.

1 comment:

  1. Good work on the orcs. I too have heard about the return of Warhammer being set before the last version. I can't make my mind up if I like the drastic new style of figures... Very fine detail and slightly futuristic Comic book look.

    ReplyDelete