Thursday 15 April 2021

Frostgrave: The Red King

A quick break from re-paints with a product review. Last night, and a part of this afternoon, I managed to read through a Frostgrave supplement I bought a few months back when it was first released.

This is the first supplement for the new Second Edition of Frostgrave. I bought the new rules when they were released and have actually done something with them this time (see the posts on the Adventures of Balthazar Blimp), rather than just reading them through, putting them on the shelf for later use, and then forgetting about them as either something new comes along or real life gets in the way.

With the release of The Red King rulebook supplement, there is a price rise to £20.00, but the page count has remained the same at 96 pages plus the card cover. I am currently between jobs (yet again!) and, as a consequence, the gaming budget is very limited, so I looked around for a cheaper way of buying it. Amazon was the retailer this time, and I got it for a few quid off. I don't usually like to buy wargames stuff from Amazon, preferring local gaming shops or independent online retailers, but this time I have had to due to my current circumstances.

In this supplement we see a new campaign game that could see the gaming world of Frostgrave brought to its knees with an incursion of demonic beings.

Introduction - The Introduction gives a brief overview of what can be found between the covers of this supplement

The Invasion - This chapter sets out some campaign specific rules and details of the cracks that occur in reality. There are also some extra rules on warbands that have to continue fighting with the loss of their home base

The Red King: Act One - Three scenarios are presented here to get the campaign off to a start. They are all presented in the usual format of; a brief introduction to the secnario, the set up, special rules, and finally the treasure and experience section

The Red King: Act Two - Three more scenarios set in the campaign

The Red King: Act Three - Six more scenarios to complete the campaign

The Red King: Epilogue - A summary of what would be the likely outcome if the warbands fail at stopping the Red King

Treasure- A couple of new tables featuring new treasures and artifacts found in Felstad during the time of the Red King

Bestiary - The final part of the book is a listing of all the new monsters encountered within the Red King campaign: Blood-Marked Berserkers, Burning Man, Foulhorn, Herald of the Red King, Hrut, Key-Master of the Red King, Mindshrike, and Nullman


Again we have a very full supplement. It is nice that the game is still getting lots of support in its second edition - this will hopefully encourage me, and others, to keep going with planning and building items for Frostgrave. I want to carry on gaming with my test warband to learn and get used to the rules, and then build a new warband using newly painted miniatures to run through the various supplements in order to build a kind of narrative for the heroes. I am also hoping to begin building some scenery for this game too, which can double-up for use in Middle-earth. Like the previous games, I will most likely play these solo, or maybe refereeing my youngest son if he fancies a turn.

2 comments:

  1. I've had my eye on this supplement.... might have to invest in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the way that Osprey and Joe, as well as North Star, are supporting the game. The same goes for Ghost Archipelago and Oathmark - both of which I have yet to buy into.
    The supplements are good, with just enough info to get you going but still requiring some input from the gamer to give that narrative feel. I have also got to look into Rangers of Shadowdeep. I have some cash left on my PayPal balance, so may use that to grab myself a copy, but it is very expensive at £37. I may need to sell a few more things to boost the coffers to enable this.

    ReplyDelete