Sunday, 30 August 2026

Midgard : Britannia (Mounted Warriors 3)

And this post brings me to the last of the "odds and sods"; a couple of Mounted Warriors. These can be used as part of the skirmish style cavalry bases for Midgard if I swap out the heavily armoured riders, or just to add into a unit of ten cavalry for any other game systems.

I only tried out one newish trick with these figures - I had a go at a skewbald horse colouration scheme. I think it turned out OK, but the horse image I copied meant that most of the darker hide ended up hidden by the saddle and rider. I will look at variants on this theme when I get around to painting more cavalry - unfortunately due to the gluing incident, I won't be trying anything more than a single colour scheme on the chariot horses.

Two New Mounted Warriors


All of the Mounted Warriors Together

I think it is nice that I have more figures than are required for the unit bases I made (see the slingers from the last post for another example). It means I can randomise the Midgard bases each time I play with them or use the whole ten riders to choose from to create a lovely Dragon Rampant unit.

Celtic figures progress (120 of 135 completed)...

  • 106 figures based and ready for use with the Midgard rules set
  • Druids (4 metal figures)
  • Chieftains and Champions (6 metal figures)
  • Slingers (2 metal figures)
  • Mounted warriors (2 metal/plastic figures)
  • Chariots and crew (15 metal figures)
And the remainder...
  • 40 Standard and elite warriors still on their sprues (plastic figures)
  • 8 Javelinmen (metal figures)

Next up is the unit I have been waiting for - the chariots. I have three of them ready to go, but they will only make up one full Midgard unit base unfortunately. I guess the other could be used as a unit chieftain/champion? I will need to purchase one or two more to allow me to expand to two units. I am toying with the idea, as well as buying one or two for use as goblin chariots or whatever, but they are very expensive. We shall see what pans out when I get around to painting my fantasy figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment