Saturday, 15 August 2026

Midgard : Britannia (Building Interlude 2)

The bases and movement trays for the Celtic chariots arrived a couple of weeks back as mentioned in a previous post. I wanted to complete the last two bases of warriors prior to starting work on them though. Over the last couple of days I have glued up the two remaining chariots, undercoated all three of them plus their crews, and adhered them to their movement trays. It was only after doing this that I realised that I should have painted them first as there are some very awkward looking places to reach now, ha ha - oh well!

The Three Chariots prior to Basing and Painting

Warbases did a fine job in creating some lovely custom movement trays for my chariots - I used their standard 95x40mm pill bases as the starting point and asked them to incorporate two of them onto their standard 120x120mm Midgard trays. They work very well indeed - the chariots proved to be a fine fit.

Chariot Bases and Movement Trays

As the chariots are larger, more complex miniatures I am going to count them as a little bit more than the 3/6 (9 in total) count that I have been giving them so far. As each model consists of a chariot, 2 horses and 2 crew members I will count each model as 5 figures in total - 15 figures in all. Maybe if I paint vehicles or multi-piece items in future I will reconsider the total worth, but for now this makes sense to me (and makes the completed numbers more appealing). I know, I know, you can justifiably point out that I didn't count my mounted figures as two figures, when maybe I should have done, but to paraphrase Gimli, "They still only count as one!" 

Celtic figures progress (106 of 133 completed)...

  • 106 figures based and ready for use with the Midgard rules set
  • Leaders and Champions (6 metal figures)
  • 1 base of druids (4 metal figures)
  • Mounted warriors (2 metal/plastic figures)
  • Chariots and crew (15 metal figures - 3 chariots, 6 horses, 6 crew)
And the remainder...
  • 40 Standard and elite warriors (plastic figures)
  • 8 Javelinmen (metal figures)
  • 2 Slingers (metal figures)

Whilst evaluating my progress and contemplating what else needs doing, I took a look at some potential new units that could be built from the remaining unpainted/prepped Romans and Britons and the Warbases movement trays that are left. Here are the raw numbers (I may have missed a few figures, but I will add them in as and when I find them) - I will try to create as many new units as I can from these and hope that I do not need to purchase any more movement trays for the forces going forward. That being said, the numbers I already have should be enough for most 300 point army eventualities, and I wish to complete another couple of projects before circling back to this one.

Romans...

  • 54 Plastic figures:
    • 1 complete box of 30
    • 24 on sprues (4 leaders, 20 legionaries)
  • 2 Optios
  • 1 Western Spearman
  • 1 Eastern Archer
  • 9 Balearic Slingers
  • 12 Numidian Cavalry
  • Artillery:
    • 2 Scorpions + 4 crew
    • 1 Ballista + 3 crew
    • 1 Onager + 3 crew - for some reason I got a Caesarian rather than Early Imperial onager, so the crew are historically incorrect for this army - ho hum!

Britons...

  • 40 Plastic figures - 37 upper bodies, 47 lower bodies (due to using ten uppers for cavalry) on their sprues -  plus 3 already constructed
    • 32 Standard Warriors
    • 8 Armoured Warriors
  • 8 Javelinmen
  • 2 Slingers

Unused Movement Trays...

  • 4 Warrior ranked bases
  • 5 Warrior non-ranked bases
  • 5 Skirmisher bases
  • 8 Mounted Warrior bases
  • 1 Chariot base
  • I need to create/order bases for the artillery - these need to be worked out in detail
Whilst thinking about other uses for these bases, I was reminded of my goblin raiding party figures. I may use some for those figures so I can begin creating a Midgard army for my old skool figures. I have a load of figures based up for Hordes of the Things that I never got around to playing with. If I can remove them from those movement bases and clean them up, I could use them for Midgard too. And that would also give me a few dwarf units to get me going.

Timeline - I began this project back on the 6th of June. I have managed to complete 13 movement trays/units in about 10 weeks so far, so I have hit my target of an average of a base per week. Some were more achievable than others so I got more than one base in per week, but there were a few moments when I wavered a little, although I just about managed it. Now to complete the remaining figures in the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment