Sunday, 23 August 2026

Midgard : Britannia (Chieftains & Champions)

I was able to paint these fellas relatively quickly. I put in some extra time this weekend and had no interruptions, so the standard block painting went on by the numbers. Again, nothing spectacular. I am staying resolute to just block painting and washes for this army. I will push my skills a little more with the next project.

Chieftains and Champions by Warlord Games


Chieftains and Champions by Foundry


All the Chieftains and Champions together

With the completion of these, all of the leader-types are done, so I can field a Celtic/Briton army with a great choice of champions. If I have need of more I can always grab a figure or two from the Elite or Mounted Warrior units already completed, plus there are the chariots in the wings waiting for a dab of paint.

I am still painting most days for 30-40 minutes per session, so I am hoping to see the completion of the remainder of the figures in a couple of weeks' time. If I am able to keep the discipline and avoid any new bouts of painter's block, this should be achievable.

Celtic figures progress (116 of 135 completed)...

  • 106 figures based and ready for use with the Midgard rules set
  • Druids (4 metal figures)
  • Chieftains and Champions (6 metal figures)
  • Mounted warriors (2 metal/plastic figures)
  • Slingers (2 metal figures)
  • Chariots and crew (15 metal figures)
And the remainder...
  • 40 Standard and elite warriors still on their sprues (plastic figures)
  • 8 Javelinmen (metal figures)

Either the mounted warriors or the slingers will be up next before trying to tackle the too-hastily constructed chariots. The chariots will take a bit of time, due to a few of the very awkward places to get the paintbrush into, but they should be do-able.

Whilst doing all this painting, I have noticed that a few of my very old paint pots are beginning to dry up; some of the pots are 30 years old or more! I have been adding a few drops of water each time I use them to keep them flowing, but some are gradually moving beyond repair and are totally drying out in the pots. I am just hoping that the main colours I am using can hold out until the last of the miniatures above are completed. Several pots have been discarded over the last few weeks where they have just dried solid, so I will take a look to see if I can replace them from the original vendors. If I cannot I will need to source alternatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment