Thursday 20 May 2021

Elf Repaints IV

Today saw me bring the total number of elf archers up to nine completed miniatures. I managed to complete five more elf archers for my son, so his Lord of the Rings elf warband is almost there now. Hopefully I will complete my part of the re-paints tomorrow. He still has his metal command that I undercoated for him a week or so back, and a couple of plastics that need a bit of TLC that he said he would like to paint himself.

Here are the lastest elves in all their painted glory...

Again, these were just a tidy up and make do kind of job - nothing special; no highlights, shading, washes or anything like that. They are more than good enough for the tabletop, even if I didn't quite get the colours on as well as I would have liked this time (age is beginning to ge the better of me now as my hands are not as steady as they used to be, and my eyesight is rapidly deteriorating). There are a few places where my ordinarily neat lines are a little wobbly, but this cannot be seen from the distance of my eyes to the tabletop.

I have four more elf swordsmen to go, which I am hoping to complete tomorrow, before moving onto his Gondor troops. He doesn't want the standard film colours on them either, so I need to pick up one or two new pots of paint to achieve this for him. He is braver than me going non-canon, but I really like his ideas. When I get around to painting my Lord of the Rings figures, I think I will look at doing a little of the same.


Over the last couple of days, I have also been putting a little bit of paint onto the skeleton undead cavalry, as well as starting to build the Otherworld skeletons I bought recently - these will be assembled differently to the six I already have, to bring the total number of variants to twelve. When I put in my next order (end of the month), I will be getting their armoured equivalents. I will then need to look into getting some zombies - I am not keen on the plastic ones on offer at the moment, so will need to find suitable miniatures in metal. Does anyone out there have any recommendations for decent zombie miniatures that are compatible with the Otherworld stuff? Heresy have some good undead, so they may get an order from me when I get around to the other types of undead. This project will be expensive, but I can build the faction slowly, and paint those that I have bought before I purchase the next batch. I am looking at around 20-30 figures again to round out the low level undead, before moving onto the upper echelons like ghouls, ghasts, wights, wraiths, banshees, vampires, liches etc. At this rate, I may be able to begin running some low level dungeon crawls; something I have never been able to do in the past with the figures that I own. I mainly concentrated on the adventurers and used counters etc. for the baddies. Hopefully I can run some games where all the beings encountered can be represented with a miniature.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work again. How about metal zombies from Folorn Hope Miniatures. Old Grenadier sculpts by Nick Lund, who is very much a marmite sculptor, but I happen to love his stuff.
    https://www.forlornhopegames.co.uk/products/categories/fantasy-warriors/undead?page=2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Springinsfeld - the comments you all make encourage me to keep working on the lead and plastic mountains.

    Thse undead on Forlorn Hope look good. I will see what I can muster up from there when I come to make the zombie horde.

    ReplyDelete